Vine Charcoal on Newsprint and Bond.
Cool thing about this charcoal is the tonal range you can get by manipulating the marks.
It does not stick to the newsprint very well so I tried conté and then changed paper on the profile.
Practice and humility are essential for my development in art and life.
Not because I am “not good enough”. Not because “I am better than”.
Both of these states are comparative and self-defeating. I am just an artist among artists.
I went to my regular figure drawing workshop yesterday and found out that a colleague was teaching a beginning figure drawing class right after the workshop. I have never had any instruction in drawing before and it never occurred to me that I needed any. He was gracious enough to allow me to sit in on his class and I learned much in his approach.
14×17″ Charcoal from last night at the Art League
Very similar stages of completion but after a nights sleep and about 15 more minutes of work, the one on the right looks far better.
The one on the left is how I stopped with the model last night at 8pm.
I thought it was finished but when I looked this am with fresh eyes I saw some issues I needed to address.
Hal -Oil on Canvas 18×24″
9-8-2016 Day One: Water main broke at the studio about 30 minutes before the session was to begin. I had asked the model to wear a black jacket or at least long sleves. Mostly to save time on the painting session. Also, the model was going to bring a canvas with him at 10×10″, this also to save time by just painting the head.
None of these things worked out in my favor. That’s life.
I shut off the water main. Selected a grey primed 18×24″ canvas and started a full length seated. Hal had some unusual scars on his arms particularly a good one on his right forearm from a dance with a plate glass window. These were all nice details anyway.
The first session lasted from 11am until 3pm with a few breaks and a snack. Hal was really a patient model and good storyteller so a good time was had by all.
The first session was blocked in to my satisfaction and I took a few photos for reference.
I picked up the brushes the next day and spent 3 solid hours lighting the face, hair and eyes.
I am about done except some background area fill and defining the weight on the left side so that his arm makes sense where it is. One more day on this one, I think.